Digitarium® Alpha 2 Portable Digital Planetarium System
This model has been discontinued. Please see our current models.
The Digitarium® Alpha 2 Portable model is a digital planetarium system designed for use in portable domes. Set up the system in a gym with an inflatable dome for an instant planetarium. Portability and ease of set up and use allow you to share one system and its cost with other area groups.
The Digitarium® Alpha 2 Portable system, due to its digital technology, is significantly more powerful than analog ("pinhole") portable planetariums you may be familiar with. Think of the power of a computer versus a slide projector.
Although more expensive than most portable analog projectors, we believe it to be a huge value proposition, as you are getting the features of modern digital planetariums at a small fraction of the cost.
Affordable and flexible, the Digitarium Alpha 2 Portable will revolutionize your astronomy teaching.
See also Digitarium general specifications.
|Maximum Dome Diameter
||Approximately 33 feet/10 meters. Brightness
is the main
issue, since the larger the dome,
the larger the surface area the light from the projector must cover.
||768 pixels across a diameter
|Field of view
||180 degrees, full sky.
|Pixels per degree of sky
|Angle of Projection
|Base Projector Brightness
||3500 Lumens with non-fisheye lens (Provided for comparison purposes with other systems. Actual brightness with a fisheye lens is significantly less due to not projecting the whole video rectangle and differing lens properties. Please contact us if you may be interested in a brighter system.)
||Approximately 900:1 (Actual measured value with fisheye lens and projector in normal contrast mode.)
||Up to 1500 hours on high/2000 hours on low (4000 hours with dimmer long life lamp)
||Some violet color separation is present, however we do not believe that this will distract from your teaching. This is a tradeoff in the interest of an affordable system and has been
improved from the previous model.
||1 TB expandable up to 4 TB or more.|
North America: 120VAC, 50/60Hz, 640 Watts
Elsewhere: Contact your local distributor.
||FCC Class A, CE class A (RoHS compliant), UL Listed components|
||Direct power off (fan properly cools down lamp even if the power is cut off), dust filter, sealed optical block, shutter, LAN control and reporting
System: 16 x 16 x 24 inches for storage (40 x 40 x 60 cm),
16 x 16 x 34 inches for use (40 x 40 x 87 cm)
Transit case: 19 x 21 x 31 inches (47.5 x 52.5 x 77.5 cm)
System: 58 pounds (26.4 Kg)
Transit case: 34 pounds (15.5 Kg)
Total: 92 pounds (41.8 Kg)
The transit case has built in wheels and extendable handle for easy transport on flat surfaces.
- General Digitarium overview including distinctive features, features and benefits and general specifications of Digitarium systems.
- Dome Shots give you an idea of what can be projected.
- Comments from Educators
- Feature Comparison to other
portable planetarium projectors.
- Where to place the Digitarium Alpha 2 Portable in a fixed dome, if required.
Purchasing InformationPurchase price includes:
- One Digitarium Alpha 2 Portable planetarium system with set of two Digitarium remote controls (one spare)
- Wheeled transit case
- Complete set of user manuals.
- Set of lesson plans for use with elementary through high school students
- USB thumb drive with companion media for lesson plans.
- Two year limited warranty (Two year limited warranty on the projection component from Panasonic.)
- Free technical support and automated software updates for the life of your system.
- "Two Pieces of Glass" fulldome video show
- Membership in our Digitarium users community website.
- One-year individual membership in the International Planetarium Society.
All specifications and prices subject to change without notice.
Product photos may differ slightly from actual models.
Updated Nov 21 2014