Digitarium® Epsilon Portable Digital Planetarium System
The Digitarium® Epsilon Portable model is a digital planetarium system designed to be portable. This system can be used in either a full dome or a truncated projection mode. It is very similar to the Digitarium Gamma Portable model, but offers higher resolution (about 30% greater in full dome mode and 56% greater in truncated mode).
Full dome/full sky projection is available at a projection angle of 155 degrees. This is not ideal for the typical inflatable dome as the projection will be somewhat higher on the dome than a more immersive 175 degree projection. It is, however, a good solution if you want to use chair type seating, have a higher than typical dome springline, or need a moveable system for a fixed dome.
In truncated projection mode, a 1344 pixel diameter truncated circle (truncated to a 1920x1200 pixel frame) is projected at a 180x155 degree projection angle. This mode is typically best suited for high resolution wide angle immersive movie uses. The planetarium features will still work, but with part of the sky missing we don't recommend this mode for serious astronomy education.
The Digitarium Epsilon has the same unmatched usability of other Digitarium systems with our exclusive backlit, handheld remote control.
This model is designed for those who want high resolution and the best projection quality in a portable Digitarium system but can not afford the Digitarium Kappa Portable model. If you intend to show a lot of fulldome video shows, immersive environments, or scientific visualizations, the higher resolution will be invaluable. Starfields will also look better, especially with the high contrast and our high quality proprietary lens.
Despite all these features, the price is a fraction of other high quality full dome fisheye planetarium systems of similar resolutions!
See also Digitarium general specifications.
||1200 pixel diameter circle
||1344 x 1200 pixel truncated circle
|Field of View
||180 degrees, full sky.
||180 x ~155 degrees.
|Pixels per degree of sky
|Angle of Projection
||180 x 155 degrees
|Maximum Dome Diameter
||Around 52 feet/16m in full dome projection mode. Brightness
is the main
issue, since the larger the dome,
the larger the surface area the light from the projector must cover.
|Base Projector Brightness
||7500 Lumens with non-fisheye lens (Provided for comparison purposes with other systems. Actual brightness with a fisheye lens is significantly less due to not projecting the whole video rectangle and differing lens properties.)|
||Up to 1700 hours on high/2200 hours on low
The projector has two lamps which can be used one at a time, or both together for the brightest projection.
||Digitarium Epsilon systems use our most advanced proprietary lens design for the best projection quality available in Digitarium systems.|
||750 GB expandable up to 3 TB or more.|
||100-240 VAC, 10.4 A, 50-60Hz|
||FCC Class A, CE class A (RoHS compliant), UL or CSA listed components|
System: 20 x 16.75 x 25 inches for storage (51 x 42.5 x 64 cm),
20 x 16.75 x 35 inches in use (51 x 42.5 x 89 cm)
Transit case: 39 x 25 x 22 inches (99 x 64 x 56 cm)
System: 72 pounds (32.7 kg)
Transit case: 47.6 pounds (21.6 kg)
Total: 120 pounds (54.5 kg)
The transit case has built in wheels and extendable handle for easy transport on flat surfaces.
(Outside the US contact a local dealer for pricing.)
Purchasing InformationPurchase price includes:
- One Digitarium Epsilon Portable planetarium system with set of two Digitarium remote controls (one spare)
- Wheeled transit case
- Heavy duty surge suppressor with 25-foot cord (120 VAC countries only)
- DLP projector remote control
- Comprehensive and easy to use set of user manuals.
- Set of lesson plans for use with elementary through high school students
- 1000 GB portable hard drive with companion media for lesson plans along with the following fulldome video shows:
- IBEX: Search for the Edge of the Solar System
- Two Small Pieces of Glass
- Citizen Sky - Epsilon Aurigae
- FLIGHT TO THE MOON: LRO and LCROSS Revisited
- Losing the Dark (Show licensing agreements must be signed and returned before system ships to receive hard drive.)
- Three year limited warranty (Three year limited warranty on the projection component from projectiondesign.)
- Free technical support and automated software updates for the life of your system.
- Lens cleaning kit (US only due to shipping restrictions)
- Free membership in our Digitarium users community website.
- Prepaid one-year individual membership in the International Planetarium Society.
Updated Apr 2 2013