Digitarium® Epsilon Portable 2 Digital Planetarium System
The Digitarium® Epsilon Portable 2 model is a digital planetarium system designed to be portable. This system can be used in either a full dome or a truncated projection mode.
Full dome/full sky projection is available at a projection angle of 155 degrees. This is not ideal for the typical inflatable dome as the projection will be somewhat higher on the dome than a more immersive 175 degree projection. It is, however, a good solution if you want to use chair type seating, or have a higher than typical dome springline.
In truncated projection mode, a 1344 pixel diameter truncated circle (truncated to a 1920x1200 pixel frame) is projected at a 180x155 degree projection angle. This mode is typically best suited for high resolution wide angle immersive movie uses. The planetarium features will still work, but with part of the sky missing we don't recommend this mode for serious astronomy education.
This model is designed for those who want high resolution in a portable Digitarium system but can not afford the Digitarium Kappa Portable 2 model. The Epsilon's high resolution is invaluable if you show fulldome video shows, immersive environments, or scientific visualizations. Starfields will also look better, especially with the high contrast and our high quality proprietary lens.
The Epsilon Portable 2 model includes our high-resolution data set of the solar system for spectacular planetary exploration with incredible detail.
See also Digitarium general specifications.
||1344 circle truncated at 1200
|Field of View
||180 degrees, full sky.
||180 x ~155 degrees.
|Pixels per degree of sky
|Angle of Projection
||180 x 155 degrees
|Maximum Dome Diameter
||Around 30 feet/9m in full dome projection mode. Brightness
is the main
issue, since the larger the dome,
the larger the surface area the light from the projector must cover.
|Base Projector Brightness
||5000 lumens with non-fisheye lens (Provided for comparison purposes with other systems. Actual brightness with a fisheye lens is significantly less due to not projecting the whole video rectangle and differing lens properties.)|
||Nominal projector contrast is up to 5,300:1.|
||Up to 2000 hours on high.|
|User Interfaces Included
|Software||Nightshade NG Professional|
||Stereo with integral speakers; stereo with external user supplied speakers.|
||100-240 VAC, 8.3 A, 50-60Hz|
||FCC Class A, CE class A (RoHS compliant), UL or CSA listed components|
System: 16 x 16 x 25 inches for storage (40 x 40 x 63.5 cm),
16 x 16 x 35 inches for use (40 x 40 x 89 cm)
Transit case: 19 x 21 x 31 inches (47.5 x 52.5 x 77.5 cm)
System: 48.5 lbs. (22.0 kg)
Transit case: 34 lbs. (15.5 kg)
Total: 82.5 lbs. (37.5 kg)
The transit case has built in wheels and extendable handle for easy transport on flat surfaces.
(Outside the US contact a local dealer for pricing.)
Please use our purchase page for ordering instructions.Purchase price includes:
- One Digitarium Epsilon Portable 2 planetarium system with set of two Digitarium remote controls (one spare)
- Solar System high-resolution data set.
- Universal Console software license for interactive control of your system from an iPad or other compatible device.
- Rugged wheeled transit case.
- Heavy duty surge suppressor with 25-foot cord (120 VAC countries only).
- DLP projector remote control.
- Wireless gamepad control.
- Comprehensive and easy to use set of user manuals.
- Set of lesson plans for use with elementary through high school students.
- Complete set of PASS™ Curricula for Digitarium Systems. Includes Augmented Lessons ideal for use with our Universal Console interface.
- 1000 GB portable hard drive with companion media for lesson plans, over 3 GB of royalty-free music, and a number of fulldome video shows:
- Citizen Sky - Epsilon Aurigae - binary systems
- Cosmic Castaways - explore galaxies and their stars
- Back to the Moon for Good - Google Lunar XPRIZE competitors try to land a spacecraft on the Moon
- Dark - dark matter and cosmology
- Flight Adventures - the science of flight (free for US customers only)
- FLIGHT TO THE MOON: LRO and LCROSS Revisited
- IBEX: Search for the Edge of the Solar System
- Journey to the Centre of the Milky Way
- Losing the Dark - light pollution
- New Horizons for a Little Planet - Pluto and the New Horizons mission
- Solar Quest - how the Sun and the Earth are interconnected
- Sunstruck - the Sun's influence on the Earth
- Two Small Pieces of Glass - history of the telescope
- Various short fulldome animations
(Show licensing agreements must be signed and returned before system ships to receive hard drive.)
- Three year limited warranty (Three year limited warranty on the projection component from Barco.)
- Free technical support and automated software updates for the life of your system.
- Lens cleaning kit.
- Free membership in our Digitarium users community website.
- Prepaid calendar-year individual membership in the International Planetarium Society.
Please note: these prices do not include a dome, a necessary requirement for system use. Purchase a Digitalis dome with your system and receive a $1,000 package discount.
Updated Jul 14 2017