Digitarium® Kappa Portable Digital Planetarium System
The Digitarium® Kappa Portable model is a digital planetarium system designed for use in portable domes. It is very similar to the Digitarium Epsilon Portable model, but offers higher resolution (about 78% more pixels than the Epsilon in full dome mode). It has the same unmatched usability of other Digitarium systems with our exclusive backlit, handheld remote control.
This model is designed for those who want the highest resolution and best projection quality in a portable Digitarium system. The 167 degree projection angle is more immersive than that of the Epsilon. If you intend to show a lot of fulldome video shows, immersive environments, or scientific visualizations, the higher resolution will be invaluable. Starfields will also look better, especially with the enhanced contrast and our high quality proprietary lens.
Despite all these features, the price is a fraction of other high quality full dome fisheye planetarium systems of similar or even lower resolutions and brightnesses!
See also Digitarium general specifications.
|Maximum Dome Diameter
||Around 52 feet/16m. Brightness
is the main
issue, since the larger the dome,
the larger the surface area the light from the projector must cover.
||1600 pixels across a diameter
|Field of view
||180 degrees, full sky.
|Pixels per degree of sky
|Angle of Projection
|Base Projector Brightness
||7500 Lumens with non-fisheye lens (Provided for comparison purposes with other systems. Actual brightness with a fisheye lens is significantly less due to not projecting the whole video rectangle and differing lens properties.)|
||The minimum estimated contrast ratio with both lamps is approximately 2100:1. Nominal projector contrast is up to 8000:1.|
||Up to 2000 hours on high
The projector has two lamps which can be used one at a time, or both together for the brightest projection.
||Digitarium Kappa systems use our advanced proprietary lens design for superb projection quality.|
||1 TB expandable up to 4 TB or more.|
||100-240 VAC, 10.4 A, 50-60Hz|
||FCC Class A, CE class A (RoHS compliant), UL or CSA listed components|
System: 20 x 16.75 x 25 inches for storage (51 x 42.5 x 64 cm),
20 x 16.75 x 35 inches in use (51 x 42.5 x 89 cm)
Transit case: 39 x 25 x 22 inches (99 x 64 x 56 cm)
System: 73 pounds (33.2 kg)
Transit case: 47.6 pounds (21.6 kg)
Total: 120.6 pounds (54.8 kg)
The transit case has built in wheels and extendable handle for easy transport on flat surfaces.
(Outside the US contact a local dealer for pricing.)
Purchasing InformationPurchase price includes:
- One Digitarium Kappa Portable planetarium system with set of two Digitarium remote controls (one spare)
- Wheeled transit case
- Heavy duty surge suppressor with 25-foot cord (120 VAC countries only)
- DLP projector remote control
- Comprehensive and easy to use set of user manuals.
- Set of lesson plans for use with elementary through high school students
- 1000 GB portable hard drive with companion media for lesson plans, over 3 GB of royalty-free music, and a number of fulldome video shows:
- IBEX: Search for the Edge of the Solar System
- Two Small Pieces of Glass - history of the telescope
- Citizen Sky - Epsilon Aurigae - binary systems
- FLIGHT TO THE MOON: LRO and LCROSS Revisited
- Losing the Dark - light pollution
- Dark - dark matter and cosmology (Show licensing agreements must be signed and returned before system ships to receive hard drive.)
- Three year limited warranty (Three year limited warranty on the projection component from projectiondesign.)
- Free technical support and automated software updates for the life of your system.
- Lens cleaning kit
- Free membership in our Digitarium users community website.
- Prepaid one-year individual membership in the International Planetarium Society.
Updated Oct 11 2013