Digitarium® Lambda Digital Planetarium System
The Digitarium® Lambda model is a digital planetarium system designed for use in permanent domes. The Lambda is our highest resolution single lens system. The Lambda's Barco F90 projector combines Single Step Processing™ image processing (at 5120x3200 pixels) with Texas Instruments' pixel shift technology to produce twice the pixel count of the physical DLP chip (2560x1600). This technology brings higher resolution at a more affordable price point to Digitarium systems.
The laser-phosphor illumination in this system provides bright, rich colors with an incredible 20,000+ hours of use without any lamps to replace. Laser life, like lamp life, is defined as when the projector output reaches half its original brightness. Laser module life is related to brightness, so running at 75% brightness can extend the expected life to an incredible 60,000 hours. That is 8 hours a day, every day, for more than 20 years! With the built in Constant Light Output feature you can define a less than maximum brightness and automatically hold this at the same constant brightness for as long as physically possible for reliable performance.
Full dome/full sky projection is available at a projection angle of 167 degrees. This is ideal for fixed domes, as the projection system is placed below the springline of the dome out of audience sight lines. Our elegant enclosure is adjustable in height at installation and keeps your system secure.
The Digitarium® Lambda model is designed for those who want the highest resolution and the best projection quality in a single-projector fixed Digitarium system. The Lambda's high resolution is invaluable for fulldome video shows, immersive environments, or scientific visualizations. Starfields will also look better, especially with the high contrast and our high quality proprietary lens.
The Lambda includes our high-resolution data sets of the Earth and solar system for spectacular planetary exploration with incredible detail.
See also Digitarium general specifications.
|Maximum Dome Diameter||Around 47 feet/14m with a 50% reflectivity dome.
Brightness is the main issue, since the larger the dome, the larger the surface area the light from the projector must cover.
|Projected Resolution||4.02 megapixels (physical, overlapped)
|Field of view||180 degrees, full sky.
|Pixels per degree of sky||13.3 average (source)
|Angle of Projection||167 degrees
|Base Projector Brightness||11,800 lumens with non-fisheye lens. (Provided for comparison purposes with other systems. Actual brightness with a fisheye lens is significantly less due to not projecting the whole video rectangle and differing lens properties.)|
|Contrast Ratio||Up to 1,800:1 (projector also supports up to 50,000:1 dynamic contrast)|
|Laser life||Up to 20,000 hours on high. Up to 60,000 hours or longer on lower settings.
The projector uses laser phospor technology rather than lamps.
|Image Quality||Digitarium Lambda systems use our advanced proprietary lens design for superb projection quality.|
|Control Unit||Digitarium CU-1|
|User Interfaces Included
|Internal Storage||2000 GB expandable up to 8 TB or more.|
|Power||100-240 VAC, 1900W, 50-60Hz|
|Regulatory||FCC Class A, CE class A (RoHS compliant), UL or CSA listed components|
System enclosure: 31 inch (79 cm) diameter.
Installation height 41-72 inches (104-183 cm)
|Weight||System: 257 lbs. (116.8 kg)|
(Outside the US contact a local dealer for pricing.)
Purchasing InformationPurchase price includes:
- One Digitarium Lambda planetarium system with set of two Digitarium remote controls (one spare)
- Solar System and Whole Earth high-resolution data sets.
- Universal Console software license.
- DLP projector remote control.
- Wireless gamepad control.
- Comprehensive and easy to use set of user manuals.
- Set of lesson plans for use with elementary through high school students.
- Complete set of PASS™ Curricula for Digitarium Systems. Includes Augmented Lessons ideal for use with our Universal Console interface.
- 1000 GB portable hard drive with companion media for lesson plans, over 3 GB of royalty-free music, and a number of fulldome video shows:
- Citizen Sky - Epsilon Aurigae - binary systems
- Cosmic Castaways - explore galaxies and their stars
- Back to the Moon for Good - Google Lunar XPRIZE competitors try to land a spacecraft on the Moon
- Dark - dark matter and cosmology
- Flight Adventures - the science of flight (free for US customers only)
- FLIGHT TO THE MOON: LRO and LCROSS Revisited
- IBEX: Search for the Edge of the Solar System
- Journey to the Centre of the Milky Way
- Losing the Dark - light pollution
- New Horizons for a Little Planet - Pluto and the New Horizons mission
- Solar Quest - how the Sun and the Earth are interconnected
- Sunstruck - the Sun's influence on the Earth
- Two Small Pieces of Glass - history of the telescope
- Various short fulldome animations
(Show licensing agreements must be signed and returned before system ships to receive hard drive.)
- Three year limited warranty (Three year limited warranty on the projection component from Barco.)
- Free technical support and automated software updates for the life of your system.
- Lens cleaning kit.
- Free membership in our Digitarium users community website.
- Prepaid calendar-year individual membership in the International Planetarium Society.
Please note: System installation is simple enough that you can perform this yourself. Alternately, system installation services can be purchased through Digitalis. Please use our purchase page for information on how to order.
Updated Mar 27 2017